The Josephinum English Language Program is a comprehensive and intensive English immersion program for international seminarians
• The JELP provides a supportive environment for the international seminarian as he adjusts to a new social and academic culture.
• Each seminarian is given a faculty advisor who ensures his needs are met as he settles into new surroundings.
• The advisor continues to work with the seminarian throughout the academic year, maximizing his opportunities for acculturation and successful learning – the primary goal of the JELP.
• The JELP is a comprehensive, three-level program.
• It accommodates all levels of English speakers.
• Daily English classes in speaking and listening, reading, writing, and grammar are integral to the program.
• Seminarians practice conversation skills with native English speakers in social and spiritual settings.
After the seminarian achieves competency in English, he continues to receive academic assistance with coursework. Since writing skills are usually the slowest to develop in the non-native speaker, international seminarians receive ongoing assistance in the Josephinum’s Writing Center.
Spiritual Enrichment & Formation
• International seminarians benefit from the rich spiritual life of the seminary, including the Liturgy of the Hours, daily Mass and Rosary, Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, and weekly Spanish Masses.
• They participate fully in the Priestly Formation Program, which assists them in the areas of intellectual, human, pastoral, and spiritual formation.
• Under the guidance of the formation faculty, seminarians assess their strengths, identify areas for growth, and work to achieve realistic goals.
First-year JELP seminarians are paired with a Catholic Friendship Family. These local American families stay in touch with their seminarian throughout the school year, offering support, encouragement, friendship, and hospitality. This is a wonderful opportunity for the international seminarian to learn more about American families and American culture.